Tuesday, June 5, 2007

First day of Swim Lessons

Today was Kate's first day of swimming lessons. She was excited. She quickly got into the pool with the other kids. The teacher asked who wanted to go first and Kate eagerly volunteered. This is her first moment of swimming lessons. Smile on the face and proud of herself. This is where I noticed the change first happen. The moment she realized this included putting her head under water. She was getting nervous now and tensing up a bit.
She was trying to stay calm while she practiced kicking her feet.
Then when her turn was over- she began to cry and crawled out of the pool and sat at the fence begging me to get her. Her teacher had to drag her back into the pool.
The rest of the time her teacher spent pulling Kate's arm off from around her neck and coaxing her back in to try some more kicking.
I want my mom! I want to go home! Don't let me go! I'm scared!
This is her reluctantly doing her kicking. She is crying- but doing it. By the end of class- she was feeling a bit better and wants to go back tomorrow! Which I hope is true because Grandma has to take her tomorrow and I don't think she will do well when Kate looks through the gate at her crying and begging for rescue.

6 comments:

sista # 2 said...

Really I have 3 comments.heehee
**Pix of pool are classic.Someday she'll be a fish & laugh at these! Good luck to grandma :)
**Your lil guy is too cute! love the shots!
**I never did a princess party, but Chloe went to one when she was 4 where they had a dress up box & the girls chose what to wear(1 at a time) and sat on a stool with a sheet back drop & took black & whites of the guests (alone)then sent them a 5x7 for a thank you. I have the one of Chloe framed!! It is so candid, not to foo foo & so classic! I REALLY love this idea.

donna said...

I have been there so many times. My son jakob with swim lesson were so hard the first few times. Crazy!!!! It will get better.

jenny said...

I am sure she will grow out of it. My oldest was TERRIFIED until she was like 6. I hope it progressively gets better for the both of you.

Wyatt's photos are so cute!

Michelle Alley said...

My girls start lessons in July and they love the water, but only with a life jacket. So, we'll see how it goes. I'll be following your updates closely to see if my girls will grow out of their fear! Good Luck!

onehm said...

i feel your pain on the whole "swimming lessons ordeal"...we are enduring it for 3 more weeks.

Amy said...

Ayayay. Been there. It's so hard to see them so terribly distraught. Davyn still doesn't like to be put under water, but Aidan has turned into a little fish. She'll get used to it quickly, I'm sure.

I need to catch up on all of your other entries! A week away seems like FOREVER! Hope you guys are having a fun summer!