Thursday, February 26, 2009

So I was inspired by my friend Carla when she posted about making her own laundry soap. Then a few days later my sister made some too. So I decided to give it a try. Here is the recipe I used:

6 cups Borax, 4 cups washing soda, 4 cups baking soda, and 4 bars of ivory soap shredded. Use about 1/8 cup per load.

I actually only did half this recipe to start. I want to see if I like it first. I did a couple loads today and so far so good. I use a lavender scent dryer sheet so the clothes still smell good. But this will be a lot less expensive if it works well.

*****Funny side note******

Kate came in the house from plying outside after I had just grated the ivory soap. She looks at it and asks what I am doing. I tell her I am making laundry soap. She looks at me confused and says... "You make it with cheese?" ...... I laughed. It does look like grated cheese!

We got our rebate check from Costco American Express this week so we went to Costco tonight to do our yearly stock up. I love this shopping trip every year because we load up on so much stuff- but now I have to figure out where to put it all. This is what I have left after all the frozen and cold stuff was put way. This will be tomorrow's project.

While we were there Wyatt was his usual self running and climbing and jumping around. This time he hit his mouth on the handle of the cart and this is what resulted. OUCH! I called my boss and asked his opinion on whether we should take him in for a stitch or something- but decided he was probably going to be OK and to just watch it. We wanted something cold on it and he wouldn't put the ice on it so we gave him ice cream.... hence the chocolate residue on his face. He still ate his pizza just fine after we were done shopping!

6 comments:

Everyday Moments said...

Sheri,

I'm so glad you tried this. I haven' tried the powder soap yet. I am going to next time. I like liquid detergent so I started with that. You'll have to let me know how you like the powder.

Hey, whatever it takes to put more $$ in the bank for when we're 70 is what I'm after!!!! Every little bit helps :)

Amy said...

Your little guys busted mouth looks all too familiar. It's a busy boy thing, I suppose. Seeing all of that Costco goodness makes me smile. I love stocking up. And I'm definitely intrigued by your laundry soap. Keep us updated on how you're liking it.

Tina said...

Poor guy!

That must have been a massive rebate check. :)

roseanne said...

Poor Wyatt! Not fun! It's hard to not make a seen when they get hurt in the store! If only I had a dime for everytime my kids scared me bad enough with some injury that I thought I'd better call someone... I'd probably have enough money to buy all that cost co stuff!!! The older Zack gets the bigger the stock pile gets when we go shopping!!!

Shawna said...

Ok that looks a litte painful...hopefully he is doing good. Looks like you got a lot of goods on your shopping trip.

Hina Schneider said...

OMG poor Wyatt. That looks like it really hurt. I sure hopes it heals well.