Saturday, December 8, 2007

Empty Handed

This morning when we left the house at 7 am to head up to the rim, it had just stopped raining. In fact- it had rained all night long. We knew the weather forecast for today was more of the same plus snow up where we were going. We packed all our warm gear and headed out. We met up with our Christmas tree hunting party and were off. When we got to Payson, we heard the road to Forest Lakes was closed due to snow but would open at 10am. We didn't mind waiting it out. But as we went further on the road, they were turning everyone around and told us they had two jack knifed semi's and the road is now closed for at least 4 hours. Yikes. So we stopped at a ranger station but they were closed. We decided to head the other direction out of Payson and go up towards Pine/ Strawberry. We called the forest service in that area and they were not handing out tree permits so we were out of luck. So we pulled off the road and and let the kids play for awhile. It snowed the entire time and it was cold. Wyatt didn't last long out in it so I sat in the truck with him most of the time. We convinced him to go down the hill on the sled with dad, but when he touched the snow with his hands- that was it. He cried all the way to the truck. I couldn't get him to leave his gloves on. Kate on the other hand had a ball!

Kate at the ranger station before we headed up to the snow. It just started to snow here.
Begging me to take him to the truck. He was not about to smile for the camera.

Not happy about being outside. We made him for the family picture

This was after we had been sitting in the truck and he was nice and warm. He didn't want to get bundled up again. After this run- he fell in the snow and that was the end of his snow adventure.

Family picture


He's a little apprehensive here.

Kate had no fear

I am still not sure what the plan is now for a tree. Chris still wants a real one. It all depends on if his parents will go up again next weekend. If not - I may get my artificial tree! I am not sure which to hope for! I would hate for Chris to be disappointed- but I would love a pretty , no mess tree.

13 comments:

Tracy said...

I love the family picture! It would be so cute on a Christmas card! So about the tree, you can always go down to the corner lot, they sell real trees with no snow! (not as much fun, though) maybe they will let Chris come down with his saw and pretend to cut it down, do you think?

donna said...

What a great pictures. I lived in Pine for 3 years. Oh is so pretty there.


So sorry you were unable to get a tree. But at least you were all had fun in the snow.

Shawna said...

It looks like a blast, I have not been sleding in years. I miss it. I am sorry you couldn't get a tree, but hopefully you can up thise weekend to get one, if not you can go to the tree lot. The people on Lindsay and Baseline are really nice people.

Amy said...

The snow pictures *almost* make me want to take a trip of my own. So fun! I'm sure Wyatt will love it by next year.

Jamie said...

Sorry about the tree. Maybe you will get that small tree wish this year. What a blast. Makes me want to make a trip to the snow soon with the kiddos. I love your family picture...sooo cute. Hey are you guys doing a new years thing this year?

Anonymous said...

Aww... I want to go to the snow!!!!!!! That looks like so much fun and you got some great pictures. What a fun family outting!!!

michelle said...

How fun!!! I love how your family always is doing fun things! The opictures in the snow are priceless! I too would use the family photo as a Christmas picture! It is so Christmasy! :)

Misty said...

Looks way cold! How fun to cut your own tree. I would love it. Still haven't gotten ours yet.

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

So, does snow sledding ever make you a little nervous, Little Ms. fly down a snow covered hill and get 100+ stitches to the head??? I guess these hills look pretty tame :) I just remember when that happened to you way back in the day, and how I was so worried about you. I love you!!!

Barbara S said...

Hey Sheri, those are really cute pictures who cares if you got a tree or not what a priceless time you guys had wish I could have gone Love ya Mom

Kenyon said...

These pictures make me want to go sledding. Your kids really are adorable!

Peterson Family said...

I am sorry that you weren't able to come home with a tree after all that! What a neat tradition... and at least you have a fun story to tell/remind your kids when they get older too. :)

It looks like a ton of fun, my boys would LOVE to sled!! :) Fun pictures!

sista # 2 said...

I have had a fake tree for so long.
Maybe because I grew up with an
artificial one -I love it ;) Plus,
the real ones we had as newlyweds,
got neglected and dried up!haha